Thursday, October 11, 2007

Kona Update, Wednesday, Part 2

Wednesday was a big day. I spent all day gripping the phone (except during my swim) in anticipation of Lindsey calling me so I could tell her she was coming to Kona afterall.

After the Macca sighting at the Ironman village, I headed back to the condo and got ready to head out for a short, easy bike ride. Besides the pre-race ride, this was going to be it until Saturday.

With still no call from Lindsey, I headed out along Alii drive and up from Keauhou into Kona (with my phone in hand - well tucked in my bike shorts anyway). There was and has been lots of traffic - cars, triathletes on bikes, triathletes running - the town is really pretty crazy right now. And today there were two cruise ships docked, so the people from those were also out in the streets. I carefully maneuvered through town. I wanted to go up Palini Drive from T1, as I had not done this yet. The short climb looks deceptively steep and I found it not to be as bad as expected. I headed out along the Queen K south this time for a bit and then turned back the way I came.

It was about 2pm when I got back to the condo and still no call from Lindsey. It was 8pm in Columbia, SC where she is in bootcamp. I wasn't getting worried yet, as I know they were getting back from the field sometime late in the day.

It was time to get ready for my NBC interview at 330. NBC had contacted me on Monday and were interested in talking with me. No, this does not mean for sure that I am going to be on the show. They are interviewing alot of other people who all have incredible stories have courage, strength and inspiration that are amazing. Only a few of the stories make the final cut.

I arrived for the interview. Everyone was very nice and we began right away. I told them that I am expecting a call from my daughter and apologized in advance for answering if it rang during the interview.

This interview was different than the others. There was a white background with a light on and the room was dark, but surprisingly I wasn't nervous - I remained calm (I am now making this my mantra this week - remain calm).

He asked a simple question about triathlon and the Ironman and I began to tell my story. I don't know where it came from, but I just started from the beginning and let it all out. It was kind of like therapy. Yes, of course - I was crying! Damn it - again! Christ, I think they are trying to be like Barbara Walters!

I am not sure how long I talked, but they didn't stop me. I actually got a call in the middle of the interview and answered right away. Oh my god, is this Lindsey? Nope, it was a friend and I told them I would call back later. Boy, that would have been really crazy had she called during that interview.

They followed up with a few more questions and we were done. I was leaving and then walking in for her interview was Desiree Ficker. You know, I am officially over the star struck stuff as these pros are everywhere. I told her to kick some butt, and she said you too (I didn't want to be cliche and say "good luck").
I like to be different.

Once outside, I was directed to go speak with Greg Welch with Ironman Live. com.
Ok, what the hell? This is now officially unbelievable. Jeez.

Greg came over and introduced himself and we sat down on a bench and started talking. He is a great interviewer and it was more like a conversation. We talked about how I was feeling in general and about the swim and bike. I mentioned about the predictions for a very tough wind year on the bike and that I would just take whatever came my way and just keep pedaling and not let it get to me mentally.

We talked about my daughter and that my mom was also coming to watch. Hey, wait a minute - I wasn't crying this time! Maybe because I had just got out of my therapy/NBC interview I didn't have any tears left. Hooray! I was going to make it through one of these without tears!

We continued our chat, and then he looked down at my wristband with my race number and he said "Stacy, I just noticed that your race number is 171. Your daughter is 17, and your mom is 71. That is a good sign." I looked down as well and said, "Oh my god, you're right, I didn't even notice that!" Well, so much for the moratorium on the tears. Here they came and I hugged him right there. He signed off with me once again sobbing like a little baby with my arms around his neck.

Greg Welch is such a sweetheart and we have a kinship as he too suffered from Ventricular Tachycardia that unfortunately forced this Ironman Hall of Famer to retire.

We finished up and said goodbye. Still no call from Lindsey. It was now just after 4pm (10 pm Eastern). I headed to grab a couple things from the grocery store. I had just picked up the first thing and the phone rang. Oh my god! I briefly noticed the area code of 803 - 803? Usually when Lindsey called it would just say, "Call".

Hello? "Hey mom". Oh my god. Lindsey. Hey baby. I headed right out the store and through my crying (boy, after this - no more crying for the rest of the week). I told her that she was coming to Kona. She said, "Mom, you have to stop crying I can't understand you." I actually think she may have thought something was terribly wrong because they let her call me at about 1030 at night. I realized this and calmed down (mantra - remain calm).

"Lindsey, baby they are letting you come to Kona. "Are you serious?" she asked. "Yes, I contacted your company commander and they said yes". Then she was quiet. "Lindsey, sweetie are you still there?" No words. But very quietly I could hear it - she was crying. Believe me, she doesn't cry much at all and certainly will never be told she is a crybaby like her mother. "Baby, it's ok. Your coming to Kona." "I am so happy" she said. "The drill sergeant just told me I am not allowed to cry and I have to hang up now" (he was just kidding) but she did have to go. She said she would call me again on tomorrow.

Lindsey is coming to Kona. She arrives on Friday at 653pm. I cannot wait to see her.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Stacy,

Ok -- You have to focus now -- No more crying!! ;)

Sounds like you're having an awesome time. I can't believe the Army is letting your daughter come to Kona!! Now that I know your bib is #171, I'll be looking for your interviews on NBC, Ironman Live, and during the event.

Now go tear this Ironman up!!

Cheers,
Kyle

Anonymous said...

Ive read this topic for some blogs. But I think this is more informative.