Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Kona Update -Tuesday, Oct. 9

Tuesday was a good day. I slept in and relaxed around the condo first thing in the morning.

At 730, I had breakfast with Mark Allen. Yes, THE Mark Allen. There were a bunch of us and it was really great. He is so incredibly down to earth. I am finding that most if not all pro triathletes, current and past are so easy going.
He said he doesn't race anymore but runs, works out with weights and surfs. He said he hasn't been in a pool in two years. The Grip himself. Wow.

At 930 I had an interview with the Ironman Public Relations people. They wanted to know about my past heart condition as well as about Lindsey coming to see me in Kona. Of course - I cried - again. Damn it! Why do they keep doing this to me??? The story may be on ABC 7 news on Thursday or Friday.

I went to pick up Kona Kevin at the airport around 1130. After dropping his stuff off at the condo, we went for a short easy swim at the snorkeling beach and then an easy 30 minute run up Alii Drive. He slowed down for me - thanks Kev. We are excited to have his parents come in on Wednesday and wife and kids on Thursday.

The Parade of Nations took place at 5pm. This is when the athletes walk from the pier down Alii Drive to the Ironman Village. We got some intel from a guy named Steve that if we waited where we were at, we could watch the whole parade and then join the United States delegation to walk up Alii Drive. He said if we went to the back of the parade at the start (the countries are in alphabetical order) we would miss the whole thing. Best intel all week.

During the parade I saw Paula Newbey-Fraser, Natascha Badmann (leading the Swiss delegation) and for a short time walked alongside Sister Madonna Buder. Very cool.

I also briefly met the first guy to do Ironman as a double leg amputee. I am trying to find out his name, but I bet you will see him on NBC. What an incredibly nice guy.

I have never been in a parade and I enjoyed every single minute. I even gave the "parade wave" a couple times just to say I had done it. I actually caught up with two guys who had Placid finisher shirts from this year and got their picture, as I was wearing my Placid volunteer shirt from bike taking.

When we got to the expo it was so crowded, but we made it through. I got Michille Jones autograph and picture of her new bike - it is blue and pink - very girly, very cool and yet I suspect very fast.

Another great day in paradise! I coudn't wait to hear from Lindsey today to tell her she's coming to Kona. Tune in for that story on Wednesday' post.

Also on Wednesday's post look for pictures of Chris McCormack (Macca himself). I was RIGHT there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ive read this topic for some blogs. But I think this is more informative.