Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Arrived in Kona and I am feeling....

Amazingly calm. After six months riding the roller coaster of emotion between uncontrollable excitment and sheer terror, I am in Kona and I am calm - still excited, but calm.
For now anyway.

Saturday, Sunday and Monday

I arrived on Saturday, but I nearly missed my flight. I woke up at 730am and my flight left Dulles at 835am (I live in Fairfax). You should have seen me - I got out of the house in five minutes, and after topping out at about 90mph along Hwy 28 and sprinting through the airport with my baggage cart and then to the gate, I made the flight with 10 minutes to spare. I got my speed workout in for sure. That is the first time I have ever come close to missing a flight.

On Sunday, I went down to the swim start at 7am. They have buoys set up out to the 1.2 mile turn around. My goal was to do the entire 2.4 miles easily and slowly. It was absolutely beautiful - I saw bright yellow and blue fish, it was like I was snorkeling and I wanted to just float around and look, which I did sometimes. But then I had to keep reminding myself to "just keep swimming".

I swam the entire 2.4 miles. It was important for me that I did that - not because I don't think I can do the distance, but I wanted to get a feel for what the conditions would be like at that time of the morning. There was some small chop, which I don't mind and the current wasn't too bad. I felt great after and not fatigued.

After the swim, I went to pick up my bike and went for a ride out on the Queen K Highway. Holy crap! I am riding on the Queen K Highway! I was laughing and on a couple descents even let out a woooooohooooo!!! What a geek, but I had a blast. I went out to just past the airport and the hills were just rollers. As they say, the major factor on this bike course are the winds and coming back into town I felt them, but these were not the infamous cross winds you get out near Hawi. However, they are projecting to everyone's consternation, pretty brutal wind conditions this year. But I am not letting this get to me too much and am still calm.

Viewing note for Saturday - the bike turn around at Hawi is at around the 60 mile mark not 56. It is also right after the longest and steepest climb of the entire ride, so my time will be slower on the first half then the second because I get to go back down that long, steep climb on the way back :)

On Sunday afternoon, I made my pilgrimage to visit Pele, the God of Fire at the volcano. I made an offering, as Kai suggested I do. It was a very spiritual moment.

I started to see some pros Monday - Normann Stadtler, Joanna Zeiger, Hillary Biscay. I went to the infamous Lava Java cafe. This is THE PLACE where anyone and everyone goes to see and be seen. I was sitting there talking to Mia and her mom, who offered that I sit with them at their table, as this place was so crowded. Mia is a very good friend of Jon Blais and was on the 2006 highlight show doing the roll across the finish line.

Anyway, we are chatting away and then Normann himself walks up to the table next to us, wipes it down and then him and his girlfriend sit down. I play it cool and keep talking to Mia and her mom.

Monday was a very easy going day. I went for a very casual swim at the snorkeling beach up the road and saw a giant sea turtle. He was beautiful and didn't seem to care that I was right there watching him.

I have been alone in the condo, which has been great. I have been able to relax, read, sleep, eat all in peace and quiet. This is a very good thing as it is going to start getting crazy on Tuesday, so I am taking advantage of this alone time. Hawaii is absolutely beautiful. I still can't believe I am here!

Kona Kevin arrives on Tuesday!

More posts to follow....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Stacy!! Awesome to hear that YOU HAVE ARRIVED!!! Will be watching the live feeds and ESPN coverage (of what little their will be) for you. Post your Bib number and jersey colors if you can! Only a couple of days left -- wishing you fair winds and following seas! ;)

Cheers,
Kyle

Anonymous said...

Ive read this topic for some blogs. But I think this is more informative.