Thursday, October 11, 2007

Kona Update, Thursday, Oct. 11

I got a call from my mom at 5am this morning. She had been stuck on I5 in traffic for four hours and had missed her plane to San Francisco from Eugene, Oregon. I told her to go ahead and go to the airport and see what they could do to get her later today or tomorrow. As it turns out, she will be in the same time tomorrow. I am so glad about that.

In the mean time, Kevin's family was at San Francisco waiting to leave to Kona. These stories are related and I will let you read Kevin's blog for the update later. He should also be reporting on the underwear run, which he did.

Kevin's parents are here and after the run and a swim, we went and had breakfast and coffee with them. Then off to the Ironman Village.

As I mentioned, I am officially over being start struck, but nontheless I wanted to catch a photo of five people fielding questions from the audience from the Triathlete tent: Dede Greisbauer, Lisa Bentley, Karen Smyers, Michael Lavato and Bryan Rhodes. I was up front taking pictures and the announcer guy walks up to me and asks if I have a question. "I haven't thought of one. Let's see. Ok, let's say it's going to be a really tough wind day out on the bike, what are your suggestions on how to handle it?"

Lisa gave some really good advice about not letting it get to you mentally. Michael Lavato talked about nutrition and that while the wind can make you feel like you are cooled off, you still have to hydrate continually. It was Karen who had some really great advice. She said to look for the rock crops along the side that can briefly break the wind to give you a chance to quickly hydrate. Also, look at the person in front of you. If they come out from behind one of those rock formations and get blown to the side, be prepared for it. Awesome advice. You don't get a chance like that. By the way, Kona Kevin thinks Dede Griesbauer is hot.

I pick up Tony from the airport at 2 today and may go down to the snorkeling beach for an easy swim. I got in about a mile yesterday, so I am pretty much good to go with that.

The Carbo Load party is tonight. It should be fun and I will post pictures from that tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If im in the situation of the owner of this blog. I dont know how to post this kind of topic. he has a nice idea.