Sunday, June 3, 2007

Stacy Taylor - Kona bound, 2007 lottery winner: Hawaii Ford Ironman Triathlon World Championship Triathlon - 19 Weeks and counting

Having found out about my lottery slot in April, I have decided to start a blog to share my journey to the Ironman World Championship in Kona Hawaii on October 13, 2007. For those who don't know what that is, it is the Super Bowl of triathlons. 1600 of the 1800 are the best triathletes in the world. Most of the other 200 are mere mortals like me. We are average, everyday people who do triathlons, but we also have regular jobs like everyone else.

The race takes place on the big island of Hawaii. The swim is 2.4 miles in Kailua Bay. The bike is 112 miles along the Queen K highway through mostly lava fields to the turnaround at Hawi. Then, I get to run a marathon - 26.2 miles!

I am excited, scared, humbled, inspired, awed - you name it, I feel it! What an incredible opportunity!

I was told about my lottery slot on April 13 on ABC 7 news here in the DC area. I was in complete shock and I was crying - it was so embarrasing! I will be uploading the news piece, as many people have been asking to see it.

The quote, "Be careful what you wish for" has been coming to mind lately. Warning! If you are lucky enough to get a lottery slot, you need to prepare financially. Within the last month alone, I have paid out about $4400 for the entry fee, air fare, condo and car rental for 10 days. Ouch! I don't even have enough money to pay all my rent this month!

2 comments:

Black Gomer said...

Hey Stacy! I knew it was you as soon as I saw this blog. We should catch up! Email me some time.
-Russ Moore

Anonymous said...

Hi Everyone, I am not completely new on the website but I expected at present was as good as time as any to say greetings, so.. well greetings :)
Here is [url=http://provenpenisenlargement.blogspot.com/]My blogspot space